Labor & Employment Law
Hurwitz & Fine, P.C. has extensive experience advising employers on personnel issues, defending employers in federal and state employment litigation, arbitrating claims and disciplinary actions under collective bargaining agreements, and drafting and negotiating employment agreements and employment terminations. Given the current emphasis in society on employee claims against employers, we believe businesses must re-evaluate their personnel procedures, employee handbooks and the method and implementation of progressive discipline contained in such policies periodically to reduce their potential exposure.
Employers must be also sensitive to the risks of potential liability exposure when making decisions regarding an employee's position within the organization, and we have provided risk management counsel to employers in this regard. Hurwitz & Fine, P.C. attorneys have provided training in employment and labor law to insurance companies, corporations, partnerships and other business organizations and have written extensively on this topic.
We also assist our clients in the defense of various labor and employment matters including:
- Representing employers before the New York State Division of Human Rights, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, as well as state and federal courts.
- Representing employers before the New York State Unemployment Insurance Division and Unemployment Insurance Appeal Board, Workers' Compensation Board, and some representation at Public Employment Relations Board.
- Representing employers before the New York State and Federal Department of Labor (labor audits, wage and hour audits, employment of minors and all other enforcement regulations).
Hurwitz & Fine, P.C. attorneys are also knowledgeable in all areas of discrimination litigation including:
- Race and ethnic origin;
- Age discrimination under state law and Age Discrimination in Employment Act;
- Disability claims under state law and the Americans With Disabilities Act;
- Title VII claims including gender discrimination and sexual harassment claims;
- Sexual orientation issues, HIV and AIDS status;
- Family Medical & Leave Act;
- Retaliation claims;
- Religious discrimination claims.
Hurwitz & Fine, P.C. attorneys regularly advise employers in issues of New York State Disability Benefits Law, federal COBRA continuation rights and HIPPA, termination/substitution of group health/accident insurance, conversion of life insurance, ERISA benefits and tax issues, breach of employment contracts and covenant not to compete litigation.
Clients are also advised in the handling of exit interviews and other risk management issues, including insurance coverage under traditional policies and Employment Practices Liability Insurance Policies ("EPLI"). We are panel counsel to certain insurance companies and represent their insureds under EPLI policies.
Hurwitz & Fine, P.C. attorneys are regularly engaged in the defense of employers in the full range of litigated matters. We also regularly represent employers in front of state and federal regulatory agencies.
Additionally, several of our attorneys have served as court appointed arbitrators or mediators in resolving disputes.
Employment & Business Litigation Pointers Newsletter
Our Employment & Business Litigation Pointers e-newsletter aims to provide our clients and subscribers with timely information and practical, business-oriented solutions to the latest employment and general business litigation developments. To read our current issue or subscribe, click here.
Labor & Employment Law Blog Updates
- 08/17/21: Mondaq: "The Age-Old Argument Of Who Qualifies As An Independent Contractor"
- 08/06/21: What Employers Need to Know About Long Covid Disability Claims
- 07/28/21: Employers Take Note: CDC Revised Mask Guidance May Require Workplace Changes
- 07/19/21: President Biden’s Proposed Regulation of Non-Competes: Three FAQs
- 07/15/21: HERO Act Update: Model Airborne Infectious Disease Prevention Plans Released