Navigate Employment Challenges with Confidence.
Hurwitz Fine's Labor & Employment team guides employers with advice, counsel & defense.
Hurwitz Fine P.C.'s Labor & Employment Law practice group is comprised of a team of experienced attorneys who regularly provide advice and counsel to employers on complex matters. Led by Amber E. Storr and Anastasia M. McCarthy, our team advises employers on personnel issues, defends employers in federal and state employment litigation, arbitrates claims and disciplinary actions under collective bargaining agreements, and drafts and negotiates employment agreements and employment terminations.
As a strategic partner to our clients, we regularly assist our clients in the defense of employment law matters including:
- Representing employers before the New York State Division of Human Rights, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, as well as state and federal courts;
- Representing employers before the New York State Unemployment Insurance Division and Unemployment Insurance Appeal and Workers' Compensation Boards;
- Representing employers before the New York State and Federal Department of Labor (labor audits, wage and hour audits, employment of minors and all other enforcement regulations); and
- Conducting confidential workplace investigations and training.
Our team is knowledgeable in all areas of discrimination litigation including:
- Race and ethnic origin;
- Age discrimination under state law and Age Discrimination in Employment Act;
- Disability claims under state law and the Americans with Disabilities Act;
- Title VII claims including gender discrimination and sexual harassment claims;
- Sexual orientation issues, HIV and AIDS status;
- Family Medical & Leave Act;
- Retaliation claims; and
- Religious discrimination claims.
With the rise in employee claims against employers, we provide strategic recommendations on personnel procedures, employee handbooks and the method and implementation of progressive discipline contained in such policies periodically to reduce potential employer exposure. We understand the challenges employers face and aim to reduce unforeseen risks to companies.
Employers must be also sensitive to the risks of potential liability exposure when making decisions regarding an employee's position within the organization, and we have provided risk management counsel to employers in this regard. Our attorneys have provided training in employment and labor law to insurance companies, corporations, partnerships and other business organizations and have both written and presented extensively on this topic.
Our attorneys also regularly advise employers in issues of New York State Disability Benefits Law, federal COBRA continuation rights and HIPPA, termination/substitution of group health/accident insurance, conversion of life insurance, breach of employment contracts and non-compete litigation.
We also advise on the handling of exit interviews and other risk management issues, including insurance coverage under traditional policies and Employment Practices Liability Insurance Policies ("EPLI"). We are panel counsel to several insurance companies and represent their insureds under EPLI policies.
If a matter reaches litigation, our employment law attorneys have the experience defending employers in the full range of litigated matters. We regularly represent employers in front of state and federal regulatory agencies.
Employment Law Updates
Our Employment Law Updates aim to provide our clients and subscribers with timely information on the latest employer-focused legal developments. To read our latest alert, click here.