James Otis Lecture Series Wins Liberty Bell Award
The Erie County Bar Association awarded the James Otis Lecture Series with their highest award bestowed. The award honors Michael Perley (Hurwitz & Fine P.C.), U.S. District Judge William Skretny (Western District of New York), and Greg Peterson (Phillips Lytle LLP), for their work in the lecture series.
The lecture program about the United States Constitution is designed to allow schools to comply with the requirements of the federal statute creating Constitution Day. This law requires all federally-assisted schools, both public and private, to provide educational programs each year around the anniversary of the signing of the Constitution. Most recently, the sixth annual James Otis Lecture's theme was "Freedom of Expression 'Just Do It?'" and was held on October 2, 2018 in the Robert H. Jackson Courthouse.
The purpose of the Liberty Bell Award is to recognize the community service that has strengthened the American System of freedom under the law, and to accord public recognition for outstanding service in one of these areas:
1. Promoting a better understanding of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights;
2. Encourage a greater respect for law and the courts;
3. Stimulate a deeper sense of individual responsibility so that citizens recognize their duties as well as their rights;
4. Contribute to the effective functioning of our institutions of government; and
5. Foster a better understanding and appreciation of the rule of law.
Law Day celebrates the rule of law, promotes justice and provides legal education to Americans across the county